Walls of Limerick

The Citadel was the Irishtown's main fortification. In 1690,it was the scene of a heroic Jacobite defence-the battle of the breach-which was  fought nearby. The sally port of the original stronghold has been incorporated into the structure of St. John's hospital. Other parts of the city walls can still be seen within the hospital grounds.The Citadel remained in use as a military barracks until 1752.St John's Gate was situated on the main roadway, nearby, but no trace of it now remains.



 

A view of the Citadel with St. John's Cathedral in the background.












 

 



HOME
ENGLISHTOWN
IRISHTOWN
CITADEL
THOMOND
BRIDGE

BAAL'S BRIDGE
LINKS