Walls of Limerick

From about 1320 the fortifications were extended to include the Irishtown, work that was completed with the erection of John's Gate in 1495.The Johns gate section of the Irishtown city wall is located between the New Road and Old Clare Street.Historically it is very important as it  was the site of the breach during the 1690 Siege of Limerick when legend had it that the breach was defended by the  women of Limerick.The embankment built to secure the wall before the 1691 siege is still there, as are two sally ports and the remains of Cromwell tower.




 

This part of the city walls is the longest remaining section of the walls of Limerick.It is 640 feet in length,over 75 feet high and 7 feet in thickness.













 

 



HOME
ENGLISHTOWN
IRISHTOWN
CITADEL
THOMOND
BRIDGE

BAAL'S BRIDGE
LINKS